Financial Services

Public Assistance Programs

Nicollet County Human Services provides financial support to elderly, disabled and low-income residents of Nicollet County. Eligibility for the program(s) is based on the household's income and assets. The amount of monthly benefits is based on income and the number of people in the household. Upon receipt of the application an interview will be scheduled. The initial month's benefits are based on the date the first page of the application is received by the agency.

SNAP Program

The Snap Program is a county run, federal program that helps single persons or families with low incomes get the food that is needed. The program issues electronic food support benefits on an EBT Card that can help supplement your food budget. Expedited SNAP supplies benefits quickly to households whose basic living needs exceed their monthly income. If you are eligible, benefits will be issued within 5 working days.

Diversionary Work Program (DWP)

Diversionary Work Program is a 4 month program that helps lower-income families find a job. The goal of DWP is to help parents immediately go to work rather than go on public assistance. When most families first apply for cash assistance, they will participate in DWP, however some families may be referred to MFIP.

General Assistance Program (GA)

General Assistance Program is a program to provide cash payments to persons who do not qualify for federal categorized assistance but meets the State General Assistance requirements.

Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA)

Minnesota Supplemental Aid is a program to provide payments to aged, blind, or disabled persons to supplement available income.

Group Residential Housing (GRH)

Group Residential Housing is a program that provides, at a minimum, room and board for individuals who are aged, blind, or disabled and live in certain licensed or registered group living arrangements.

Emergency Assistance / Emergency General Assistance (EA / EGA) are limited time programs to assist individuals with evictions, utility disconnections, etc.

Long Term Care

Long term care is medical assistance for people in nursing homes or assisted living. There are monthly meetings usually on the 4th Monday of each month at 3 p.m. The meetings are for people who may have questions regarding long term care assistance. Please call to register for the meeting.

Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP)

Some families may be referred to MFIP when they first apply for assistance or after they finish 4 months of DWP. MFIP helps families transition to economic stability. Parents are expected to work, and are supported in working. Most families can get cash assistance but the typical deadline is 60 months in a lifetime.

Refugee Assistance

The refugee resettlement program coordinates services to assist refugees in transitioning to their life in the United States. These services include resettlement and placement, cash, medical assistance, and employment and social services.